SCOTT COUNTY, ARKANSAS
Founded November 5, 1833
Scott County Courthouse
190 W 1st St
Waldron, Arkansas 72958
Hours:M-F 8am-4:30pm

Welcome!

Scott County was formed November 5, 1833 from parts of Crawford and Pope counties.

The county was named for Andrew Scott, Judge of the Superior Court of Arkansas Territory and a delegate to the state Constitutional Convention of 1836. The county seat is Waldron. The landscape of Scott County is rugged terrain to rolling terrain in the extreme northwest. The economic base of the county is timber with 82% of the land area in timber of which 62% is U.S. Forest Service owned and 20%is privately owned. Livestock and poultry production along with food processing also helps make up the economic base. Three lakes, Lake Hinkle, Lake Waldron, and Square Rock Lake, offers fishing, swimming, camping and a variety of water recreation. Blythe's Museum houses a collection of Indian artifacts and items from the city. Scenic Highway 71B winds down into Waldron, where the county park is located and offers swimming, tennis, softball, and Little League contests. Scott County is well known for its wholesome family entertainment with lots of mountain music. The stately old courthouse, with mistletoe growing in the trees around the courthouse, houses early history of the county and is now undergoing restoration. The new courthouse built in 1996 is the seventh building to house the seat of county government in Scott County. Three of the seven courthouses were destroyed by fire.

©2016 Apprentice Information Systems.